Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Therapy this week

I left therapy today feeling quite discouraged. The thought that kept going through my mind was "It's the mom's fault. It's always the mom's fault. And I'm really on my own."
I don't know why I felt like this but I did.
I don't think we are really clicking with the therapist. Being me, I feel bad saying that and like it's just an excuse or something. I've kind of felt like that from the start. She was/is much different than I imagined and I feel like there's just a certain... disconnect?
Today we tried to play with puppets to act out what Rayne would feel if she has to stay alone without Mommy. She was able to pick out a puppet to be her and one to be me. As we started talking/playing and the Mommy puppet said she had to go and leave Rayne home, I watched the real Rayne tense up a lot. I watched her struggle to explain that it wasn't a good idea and she doesn't like to be without Mommy. It was hard to get Rayne to really get into it, she was more interested in picking out the puppets, and I almost felt like Kate (the therapist) seemed put off by that when I felt like she should know how to pull Rayne back in or something. Rayne the puppet did say it was okay if she stayed with Grandma or Daddy but she first said that she didn't want Mommy and Daddy to leave.
Kate asked if we are involved in a church which is something I felt we'd talked about significantly before, our experience at church, so it kind of felt discouraging that she didn't even remember. I mean I know it's a long time between our visits and I'm sure she sees lots of people but... isn't that we are there for? She suggested a few things for helping Rayne stay in her class without me but I feel like, while they were good ideas, they rather simplified how it would go over. Like just hand her a scarf that smells like you that she can hang onto and everything will be fine. I'm pretty sure that's not what was meant but it kinda felt that way.
We talked a bit about me and asking for help and getting Daddy involved more. I admitted to not knowing how to ask for help or be assertive but didn't get much feedback on that either. Perhaps that's why I left so discouraged and feeling alone. Perhaps I felt like admitting to these things makes it obvious that it really is the Mama not fixing things here.
I'll think on things some more and perhaps have a better resolve tomorrow. Oh, I was going to say that between today and the last time we visited with Kate, we saw the psychiatrist. She seemed to immediately pull Rayne in to some sort of safety net. She still challenged her but Rayne seemed to warm up a lot faster to her. And she talked to me. I realize their roles are different and the purpose of the visits are different but this is kind of what got me thinking that perhaps it's just a personality thing not clicking with Kate. I don't doubt she knows what she is doing, I just wondered in comparison, if we might click with someone else better.

No comments:

Post a Comment