Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Riddle Me This

Lately Rayne responds to just about everything with "I have an idea. Okay. What if we..." Generally she just switches the order of the few things I have just said we are going to do. She wants to have a snack before we put on pajamas when I've said it the other way. That's okay, she's just trying to have a choice in it. Other times it's a bit more complicated. Times when I have to insist we do things my way, she often, thank goodness!, will say "I said let's do my idea TOMORROW." Again, she's trying to be in control and save face. It's kind of cute. If she's in a bad mood, her response right from the start is more like "You're not listening to my idea!!!!!" or "You're messing up my idea!!!!!" before she's even told me an idea.
However it goes, by the end of the day I'm often exhausted and even her charming "I have an idea" can be overwhelming to me. I'd just like..........
.......              to get some
          thing done with.............
           ....................                                 out
                                         a stum --
                           -----bling
                                                ........                                 block
                                                                    !



Since I got pregnant with Rayne, it has been important to me to sing to my babies. It's not that I have a great voice. I just think it's comforting for a baby, especially a newborn, to hear it's mother's voice. I usually sing primary songs and I've wanted my children to know the tunes. I find they set the mood, especially at bed time. And mostly, it's my small way of sharing what I believe with them everyday.
Before Caius was born, so Rayne was less than two years old, she started getting mad at me when I would sing at night. My all time favorite song is Away in a Manger and she would say "no Jesus song!" Again, cute and funny but a slight bit frustrating. More recently she very firmly tells me "NO singing!" when I start to sing at bed time. Not all the time but sometimes. She doesn't even have to be in a bad mood to say it.
Generally I try to put the kids to bed separately, but given that I'm usually on my own, we often end up all in the same room together. So Caius has picked up on the no singing thing. My sweet angel boy recently told me "mm-mmm sing!" (how do you spell uh-uh with mm?) It was quite sad. I didn't think I sound that bad! Well, true to her nature, after hearing me tell this to Daddy or Grandma, the next time Rayne was in the room with Caius at bedtime and he said "mm-mmm sing!" she piped in with "I love to hear you sing. Sing out loud. Sing the words! (instead of hum)."
What a little stinker! I'm just sure it's only because he is saying no that she is saying yes. What do I do with this kid!?

I'm sure within these stories, and others I could tell, these are just the best and most recent, are the mysteries that are Rayne. I feel a need to take notes and remember all this. Someday... well, why someday, perhaps today!... if I could figure this out, I could find the secret to getting Rayne to do what she's supposed to. Ah yes! There were days not long ago that it was a game to her to make me tell her not to eat her dinner so that she would/could. Daddy didn't think it was a good game and I had my doubts, but it was working. I just think that in real practice, it has to be more subtle reverse psychology.

2 comments:

  1. as soon as Peter was old enough to talk, he consistently told me not to sing. He outgrew it. Creegan more often than not tells me not to sing. Must be more common than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What this reminds me of, is Stephen saying "Sing Santa Claus is Coming to Town" all the way through summer outside. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete