Sunday, January 11, 2015

Accepting Ramen for Breakfast

Reading back through blogs, I realize I have been trying to figure out and take control of our food for a long time. This is not without merit. I think I have taken steps to improve our diet. And besides, I keep us fed on a budget and that's saying something!

In my most recent attempts to get things planned out and improved, Hubby said to me "how often do you make things that no one wants to eat?"
This was not empathizing with my frustration. This was a statement of why don't I just quit trying to make anything special or healthy because it just wastes food.

Then my sisters and mom, yes my mom!, got me watching Desperate Housewives. I've only watched one episode but one character is trying so hard to be perfect she is coming across as a Stepford Wife. Her family is miserable and the teenage son asks if every meal has to be so special and why can't they just eat something normal. His friend's mom gets home from work, opens a can of pork and beans and they have food in three minutes.
I of course sympathize with the mom. "Little brat! Appreciate what I'm giving you!"
But okay, I get it. She's trying so hard and the family is miserable. My guess is, she's not so happy herself. Hmm. Is there a lesson here for me?

So as I attempted to write out menus and grocery lists, I invited the input of my family.
Jeff gave the answers I expected. Hamburger Helper, pizza, chili dogs...
Rayne in all her sweet take charge-ness said she wants curly noodles (Ramen) for breakfast, spaghetti for lunch, blueberry waffles for dinner, and Rice Krispies as a bed time snack.
I've been wanting so long to get away from processed food and learn how to cook. But, in this conversation, I gave up. I gave in. Rayne shall have the menu she planned. (I did talk about fruit and vegetables she likes so we'll add those too).

And that's where I'm at. Hamburger Helper once a week. I used to not think it such a bad meal. Add some veggies and cut out sugar and treats. I guess we will survive. As I've noted before, I'd be happy if Rayne would eat this, she might just get some protein and iron from the beef. And so it goes.

I may even feel okay about it. Truth is, I kinda like Hamburger Helper. It tastes good and is satisfying. And while I've read enough to think that canned fruit isn't healthy, I ate some for breakfast and I feel better than not eating fruit. So I'm just going to be thankful for what we have and pray over it and, perhaps (deep sigh), keep trying to take my little steps...

Dinner menu:
M- Hamburger Helper, veggies, fruit
T- tacos or taco soup (I make my own taco seasoning now, isn't that a cool thing!)
W-spaghetti w/meat sauce or other pasta (I have also made my own spaghetti sauce. May be worth the effort. And we eat whole wheat spaghetti so it's not so bad), salad, garlic bread
Th-chili dogs and potatoes (baked, sweet, salade nicoise, for me!)
F-salmon, squash and/or spinach, rice- fish sticks for kids and Jeff- Caius will be happy, Rayne might like rice if she's in the mood, I don't know about Jeff. He can have hot pockets
S- Something easy that I can throw in the oven and not dirty dishes. This is my day out at my mom's. I don't want to come home and cook anyway.
S- I want to do a Brunch before church and simple soup and sandwiches for dinner after.

What do you feed your family? Anyone else think canned and packaged food isn't bad? Perhaps I just read too many health nut blogs :) Has anyone made any changes and had the family go along happily?


No comments:

Post a Comment