Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Isn't she a bit young for that!?

One of Rayne's favorite snacks is peanut butter on crackers. Of course she eats off the peanut butter and I don't think she's ever eaten the crackers. Today she had six crackers. When she wanted more peanut butter I picked up the paper towel they were on and as I walked to the counter one fell off. I picked it up and threw it away, buttered the other five and took them back to the table. After a minute Rayne told me one was missing. How do you know one is missing? I asked her, surprised that she would even notice. She can count, but I didn't think she'd be that aware or remember it. She pointed to the spot on the paper towel where one was missing. She had lined them up in her pattern and knew that one was gone.

Rayne has discovered that she can jump quite well from the foot rest to the chair and have a soft landing. Today she stood up on the foot rest and counted out her jump: 1, 2, 3... she counted all the way to 15!

Rayne has been very proud lately of the things she can do "all by myself." She listed them the other day and then asked "what else?" Her list included putting on her own shoes, walking up and down the stairs, riding her bike, and drinking water from my water bottle without help.

I finally took Rayne to the nursery at church. She has been two weeks in a row and loves it! I was so scared about taking her. I knew I would never be able to leave her alone but I was afraid, even if I was there, that there would be a lot of crying or that she wouldn't know how to get along with the other kids. Of course, playing with other kids is a new thing for her and there is a lot to learn but I was afraid of her reactions. Plus, I was pregnant and then had a new baby and didn't know how that would work. But she has been stellar! She talks to the teachers and the kids and asks their names. She was willing, of her own accord, to trade the pink shaker she had for a blue one so the boy who wanted a pink one for singing time could have it.

We've had a lot of visits lately with cousins Rayne hasn't met before. She has been wonderfully amazing. I love to watch her and see how she interacts. She loves to share and pass out treats. She REALLY loves her Aunt Melanie and cousin Gina.

Rayne asks almost everyday now to hold Caius. If I leave him for a minute to go in the other room she'll follow me then say she has to go check on the boy. Often she'll tell him when he's crying, "it's okay, I'm here."
I just think Rayne is amazing!

2 comments:

  1. She really is! I am very impressed by her social skillS AND her intelligence. She is so beautiful. I am so happy to be her friend. See you soon! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this again... I love to read about her accomplishments. You're doing a great job, leading her along and showing her the way. And BTW if you go back and look at the comments on my blogs, Aunt Marie left a note about the crying that is interesting. And there is the connection to -----Hollow...the storybook artist page you might enjoy looking at.

    ReplyDelete